I’ve not been a very good blogger as of late – it seems as though our entire summer centered around the bar exam and now that it’s over (and thanks, by the way, for all of your lovely thoughts – S. appreciated every one of them) we find ourselves in the midst of our busy season – weddings and work conferences and birthday weekends. Blogging might be spotty for the next couple of months, but I will be here when I can, and fortunately I’ve saved ALL the memes I’ve been tagged for for just such a time! This one I first read on Charlotte’s blog but have since seen it all over the place and it seems perfect for a post-crepes and espresso with girlfriends Sunday afternoon.
1. My uncle once: got so drunk on Christmas Eve that he drove his car into a ditch, and in doing so hit an electricity pole and knocked out the electricity for four blocks.
2. Never in my life: have I tried cocaine.
3. When I was five: I had terrible nightmares inspired by the cartoon character Little Miss Chatterbox and her cohorts.
4. High school was: fun. Feel free to hate me.
5. I will never forget: the first time I met S.
6. Once I met: Mary Lou Retton.
7. There’s this girl I know: who just friended me on facebook, although she refused to speak to me in graduate school. Facebook is weird that way. And I just used “friended” as a verb…
8. Once, at a bar: a totally drunk man fresh off his sailboat tried to engage my friend J. and I in a menage a trois.
9. By noon, I’m usually: eating lunch.
10. Last night: I enjoyed cocktails with S., had steak, asparagus and baguette for dinner, and then watched “The Darjeeling Limited” which made me want to go on a trip with my brother.
11. If only I had: a personal shopper so I would never again have to go into a department store.
12. Next time I go to church: will be in September when S. and I begin our search for a church we can share. Since I am steadfastly Presbyterian and he is steadfastly Catholic, it should be interesting.
13. What worries me most: right now? Being a good family member without becoming the kind of daughter/sister/cousin/in-law that’s obnoxious.
14. When I turn my head left I see: our entertainment center.
15. When I turn my head right I see: the living room window of the apartment next to mine.
16. You know I’m lying when: You just know. You just do. I’m a terrible liar.
17. What I miss most about the Eighties is: being a child – feeling cared for in a way that only happens when you are young. Lately I feel overwhelmed by grown-up responsibilities.
18. If I were a character in Shakespeare I’d be: Helena.
19. By this time next year: hhmm…I don’t know! My life is an adventure right now. I may have a child, I may not. I may have purchased a home, I may not. I may have sold my book, I may not. I like the possibilities.
20. A better name for me would be: …there is no better name for me.
21. I have a hard time understanding: materialism ( at least, materialism where owning certain things is equated with happiness), keeping up with Jones.
22. If I ever go back to school, I’ll: die. ha ha. Seriously, I would study a foreign language or two.
23. You know I like you if: I ask you to the movies/dinner/brunch/shopping/a play
24. If I ever won an award, the first person I would thank would be: my parents.
25. Take my advice, never: write anything in a work email you don’t want everyone to read.
26. My ideal breakfast is: eggs on sourdough toast, lots of hot black coffee.
27. A song I love but do not have is: Umbrella by Rhianna. I KNOW!
28. If you visit my hometown, I suggest you: spend the whole day on the beach and then go out for martinis at the Cork and Olive and then have dinner at the John A. Lau Saloon, and it is okay if all you have for dinner is the big basket of french fries and the infamous chocolate rasberry cheesecake.
29. Why won’t people: be compassionate?
30. If you spend a night at my house: I would profusely apologize for the couch and promise to live somewhere grown up someday. And then I’d take you out for drinks and dinner.
31. I’d stop my wedding for: a death in the family.
32. The world could do without: poverty.
33. I’d rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: drive an SUV.
34. My favourite blonde(s) is/are: D. is vacationing at the Outer Banks in NC, my cousin S. and my friend J. are hopefully enjoying a lazy Sunday in Chi-town.
35. Paper clips are more useful than: just about anything.
36. If I do anything well it’s: love.
37. And by the way: I am hungry just two hours post-crepes…