Just a quick FYI, there won’t be any recipe (s) of the month this month – the only new recipe I tried was one for ChickenVesuvio and while the flavor was spot-on it warrants further tinkering before I share…otherwise I’ve been doing a lot of lean meats, veggies and whole grains. Hopefully I’ll have a recipe or four to share at the end of October!
So, quite some time ago the lovely inthemainstream nominated me for The Honest Scrap Award. Here it is:
And here are the rules:
1. “The Honest Scrap” award must be shared.
2. The recipient has to tell 10 true things about themselves that no one else knows.
3. The recipient has to pass along the award to 10 more bloggers.
4. Those 10 bloggers all have to be notified they have been given this award.
5. Those 10 bloggers should link back to the blog that awarded them.
In terms of ten things about myself no one knows…well, I’m not sure if I have three, let alone ten…if you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time you probably know all there is to know about me, but I’ll give it a go, anyway because I am very honored to receive this award!
1. I secretly want to run into Jake Gyllenhal and Reese Witherspoon. Jake is in Pittsburgh filming a movie and I secretly want to run into them…where…the bookstore or a coffee shop or something…but I’ll act very cool and won’t ask for an autograph or anything and we’ll strike up a conversation and realize we have a terrible amount in common. A friendship will be born.
2. Um, continuing the Hollywood theme, I wish people would stop giving Jennifer Aniston a hard time. I think she is one of the most underrated actresses in Hollywood -I don’t think critics understand how difficult comedy is – equal to or more difficult than drama, I think – and she is someone who really disappears into her roles. And also, all the tabloids continuing with the whole Brad/Angelina/one hundred babies thing? Just, ugh. I am pretty sure Jennifer is pretty happy living in sunny California instead of running around after a bajillion babies in a drafty French castle.
3. I watch “The Soup” every week. And I tape “Chelsea Lately” and watch it nearly every day too. And while I used to think if I could be anyone I would be Tina Fey now I think I would be Chelsea Handler, because she is just so wicked funny and also, she drinks vodka while Tina Fey comes across as sort of a teetotaler.
4. I’ve never read To Kill a Mockingbird. I often THINK I have because I confuse it with One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest which I have read but, no, I haven’t read it. The only reason I can write this and not go running back under the covers, though, is because I checked it out from the library and will be rectifying the situation this week. Really, I think a concrete plan to read Harper Lee’s book is the only way one can admit to not having done so previously.
5. I watched the opening sequence to last week’s episode of “Glee” – the dance number to the Beyonce song – at least twenty-five times. I also practiced the dance a little bit in the kitchen while cooking dinner.
6. I am very prematurely worried about the Oscars, because I am pretty sure I am going to have to see “Precious” and the thought of seeing it scares me – it looks like the kind of movie that can knock you down for a week.
7. I miss my friends…my before-I-became-an-adult friends…J and A and M…and I worry that no friends I make now will ever measure up to them. I went to the movies and lunch with some newish friends on Saturday and it was fun but it wasn’t, like, the most fun, you know? Everyone I am making friends with here in Pittsburgh seems to be younger than me, too – late twenties – which shouldn’t feel like a big deal but it DOES, anyway. I am going to keep making an effort to make friends but I do wonder when I’ll stop thinking of my old friends as my “real” friends, as though everyone else I hang out with are just place holders or something.
8. I have absolutely NO patience for facebook, blogging or twitter angst. I am pretty sure I have said this before but if facebook, blogging or twitter is annoying you then STOP USING THEM. Don’t clog my status updates, google reader and tweets with your anxiety, and furthermore, I think all of these academic discussions surrounding social media tools are hilarious…all of the what does this mean and is society going down the toilet? Yes, probably our society has taken a turn for the worse with some of these things but it can’t be too much worse than when people started eating insects on television.
9. Sometimes I think my life would be infinitely easier if I gave up writing. I am pretty confident everything else in my life would improve…I’d be a better wife, a better employee, I’d work more on and around the house and would go to the gym more often – and lately I’ve been having the whole “what’s the point” thoughts run around my head. But I’m not going to quit.
10. I still don’t fully appreciate the band Wilco – my favorite song remains Heavy Metal Drummer – but I like the latest cd more than the last two.
Now, to tag ten people. I am going old-school with this one – all of whom have probably read To Kill a Mockingbird.
7. Noble Savage
6. Ms. Make Tea